On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 01:56:51PM -0700, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I would add this; even assuming that consciousness is ultimately based on
> quantum processes, where's the argument that consciousness is responsible
> for the collapse?. As I've told Clark 43 times, Feynman showed that a
> device can record the output on the screen (interference, collapse, not the
> which-way situation) without any intervention by a conscious being. AG

The key process, I think is digitisation of a continuum. Think
measuring a particle spin, which is indeterminate both in magnitude
and direction. After measurement, it has a particular half integral or
integral value in a particular direction.

When performing a computation, ultimately a voltage is converted (or
interpreted) as a either a 0 or 1 according to which side of a
threshold it lies on. The closer to the threshold you are, the more
error prone this is, which is why there is an inverse relationship
between clock speeds and voltage (and hence the amount of heat that
the computation generates).

The thing is that the threshold value is a subjective thing - there's
nothing in the physics to say that a given voltage is a 1 or a 0. The
same can be said of the gradation marks on a d'Arsenval meter that are
interpreted as the result of a more classical experiment.

The nice thing about all of this is that the tension between the
discrete and continua can be studied as a theoretical computer science
or pure maths problem, there's nothing woo about it. However, it is a
field still in its infancy IMHO - traditionally mathematicians study
continuous things (call analysis), and those that study discrete
things call themselves computer scientists, and ne'er the twain shall
meet.

Cheer