On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

​>>​
>> No I'm not disputing that, but computational relations couldn't exist
>> without computations, and computations couldn't exist without matter that
>> obeys the laws of physics.
>>

> ​>* ​*
> *Why couldn't it be the other way around?  e.g. that mathematical
> computations are what give us physics?*

If mathematics was more fundamental than physics then Intel would be a
ridiculously unnecessary company and would have gone  bankrupt decades ago,
but physics can clearly do things that mathematics can't and so the company
is thriving

> ​>​
> *In other words, why do you place physics on such firmer ground than
> mathematics?  Are you certain physics is primary, and not mathematics?  If
> so, I would like to know the reason for this certainty.*

If neither matter nor physics existed but "1+1 =2" did then "1+1 =3" would
exist too, one of those statement is fiction and one id nonfiction but the
only difference between the 2 is the way physics treats matter, for example
2 merged hydrogen atoms behave differently in a gravitational field than 3
do. The difference between truth and falsehood is that if you treat a
falsehood as being true the drug you're taking won't work or you car won't
start or your Turing Machine won't do what it is programmed to do, or in
other words something will end up biting you in the ass. But without
physics the consequences for being wrong would be exactly the same as the
consequences for being right, none at all.

John K Clark