On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

​> ​
> The birth of a fundamentally distinct new class of problems.
> BQP has carved out a realm of its own... beyond the reach of the combined
> set  PH =  {P, NP}

This new result does not prove a quantum computer could solve all
nondeterministic polynomial time problem s  in polynomial time but it does
prove that even if P=NP and even if we had an algorithm that could solve NP
problems on a conventional computer in polynomial time there would still be
a class of problems a conventional computer couldn’t solve efficiently but
a quantum computer could.  This class of very exotic problems may be of
fundamental interest in themselves or they may be interesting for no reason
other than that a conventional computer can’t solve them.
​

 John K Clark​