On 6/23/2018 9:20 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 3:03:07 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

    On 6/23/2018 2:26 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:

    On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 9:21:05 PM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com
    wrote:

        On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 7:52:08 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

            On 6/23/2018 12:02 AM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

            On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 6:25:38 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

                On 6/22/2018 3:13 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
                *I've been struggling lately with how to interpret
                a superposition of states when it is ostensibly
                unintelligible, e.g., a cat alive and dead
                simultaneously, or a radioactive source decayed and
                undecayed simultaneously. If we go back to the
                vector space consisting of those "little pointing
                things", it follows that any vector which is a sum
                of other vectors, simultaneously shares the
                properties of the components in its sum. This is
                simple and obvious. I therefore surmise that since
                a Hilbert space is a linear vector space, this
                interpretation took hold as a natural
                interpretation of superpositions in quantum
                mechanics, and led to Schroedinger's cat paradox. I
                don't accept the explanation of decoherence theory,
                that we never see these unintelligible
                superpositions because of virtually instantaneous
                entanglements with the environment. Decoherence
                doesn't explain why certain bases are stable;
                others not, even though, apriori, all bases in a
                linear vector space are equivalent. These
                considerations lead me to the conclusion that a
                quantum superposition of states is just a
                calculational tool, and when the superposition
                consists of orthogonal component states, it allows
                us to calculate the probabilities of the measured
                system transitioning to the state of any component.
                In this interpretation, essentially the CI, there
                remains the unsolved problem of providing a
                mechanism for the transition from the SWE, to the
                collapse to one of the eigenfunctions when the the
                measurement occurs. I prefer to leave that as an
                unsolved problem, than accept the extravagance of
                the MWI, or decoherence theory, which IMO doesn't
                explain the paradoxes referred to above, but rather
                executes what amounts to a punt, claiming the
                paradoxes exist for short times so can be viewed as
                nonexistent, or solved. AG. *

                If you're willing to take QM as simply a
                calculational tool, then QBism solve the problem of
                wf collapse.

                Brent

            Thanks. I'll check it out. Is QBism a plausible theory?
            Do some professional "heavies" accept it? AG

            Asher Peres started it and he was a "heavy weight".
            Chris Fuchs has been the main advocate, but he's kind of
            strange.  The interpretation is not widely liked because
            it's the extreme end of instrumentalism.

            Brent

        *Let's go back to those little pointy things and write A = B
        + C, where B and C are basis states with appropriate
        multiplicative constants. Given this particular basis, one
        could interpret this equation as a superposition where A is
        understood as being in states B and C simultaneously. But A
        could be written in an infinite set of different sums using
        orthogonal or non orthogonal bases. So, given the lack of
        uniqueness, it seems an unwarranted stretch to assume any
        vector can be interpreted as being in two states
        simultaneously, If we drop this interpretation for quantum
        superpositions, most, possibly all the paradoxes go away. Who
        was the person who first interpreted a superposition in this
        way, which seems the root of many unnecessary, a[[ar problems
        in quantum mechanics? AG *

    ... *Who first interpreted a quantum superposition this way,
    which seems the root of many unnecessary, intractable problems in
    quantum mechanics, inclusive of the idea that a particle can be
    in more than one position simultaneously? AG*

    Of course in theory any pure state can be taken to be a basis
    vector and there is an operator for which that state is an
    eigenvector, i.e. a basis in which it is not a superposition.

*
Can't any pure state be written as a superposition using another basis? AG*

Sure.

    But in practice we don't know what that basis is and in general we
    cannot physically realize the corresponding operator.  That's why
    a photon passing thru Young's slits is said to be in a
    superposition of passing thru slit 1 and passing thru slit 2.  We
    know how to create an operator that measures "passing thru slit 1"
    and we know how to create an operator that measures "passing thru
    slit 2", but we don't know how to construct an operator that
    measures "passes thru both slit 1 and slit 2".  We can write down
    the wf in the basis of "passing thru slit 1" and "passing thru
    slit 2" and it's a coherent sum, i.e. a superposition of those
    two.  Decoherence theory says that we can't construct an
    instrument which will measure "passes thru both slit 1 and slit 2"
    because such an instrument would quickly decohere into one of the
    two stable states "passed thru 1" or "passed thru 2" and the
    interference pattern would not form (in repeated trials).

*
In Young's double slit experiment, IIUC we assume the wave goes through both slits simultaneously in order to model the interference after repeated trials.***But you say that's NOT what decoherence theory says. **

Pay attention.  I said we couldn't make a measuring device for that.  NOT that we didn't calculate it that way

Brent

**I find this baffling. In the seminal quantum experiment where one could, it seems, assume simultaneity of the component wf's, you say it's denied by decoherence theory. *****Maybe I missed the content of your comment. *****In* general I don't see the reason to assume simultaneity for components of a quantum superposition. How would you justify that interpretation of a quantum superposition? TIA, AG*

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.