On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 7:31 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> ​>
>>> ​>>​
>>> * ​​p​**ysicists assume arithmetic to make sense of the observations.*
>>

>> ​>>​
>> Yes, whatever way that numbers are manipulated it must be consistent with
>> PHYSICAL observations, if physical reality was different correct arithmetic
>> would be different,
>
> *​>​Most people can conceive different physical laws, but nobody has ever
> comes with a different arithmetical reality, using arithmetic I its
> standard sense.*

​

By using p-adic numbers mathematicians found more than a century ago there
are a infinity of ways the numbers could be arranged because there are a
infinity of ways distance between numbers could be defined and all of them
are logically consistent. If you want to use Euclidean geometry or even the
sort of non-Euclidean geometry Einstein used you've got to use standard
arithmetic, but there are other ways. For example, in the 7-adic system the
distance between 56666 and 66666 is smaller than the distance between 66665
and 66666; and 28814 is closer to 2 than 2 is to 3.

> ​>*​*
> *Computation are not physical by definition.*

Sure if you define computation as something that happens in heaven that can
never be observed, but only somebody more interested in pondering the
number of angles that can dance on the head of a pin than in computers or
science or anything humans can detect with their senses would do so.

> ​>*​*
> *If you can find just one paper providing a physical definition of
> computation,*

A physical computation is a computation and a computation is a physical
computation, in other words the term "physical computation" is redundant,
there are only computations.

*​>​You asked me this before. Primary needs “have to be assumed”.*

I know, I asked before if you understood what philosophers meant by the
term "primary matter
​"​
and from your answer it was clear you did not. I had hoped by now you had
learned but apparently not.

​
>> ​>>​
>> The M man is NOT the W man even though both are the H man;
>

> *​>​Exactly. That is why there is an first person indeterminacy (FPI)  in
> Helsinki.*

In Helsinki the Helsinki man is experiencing Helsinki with 100% certainty
without a trace of indeterminacy.

​>>​
>> make a Venn diagram out of it and you'll see why demanding to know what
>> one and only one city the H man will see is so silly and why drawing
>> profound consequences from that trivial fact is so ridiculous.
>

> ​>​
>
> *Oh, so you say the Helsinki man will see the tow cities?*

​Bruno, you're always talking about definitions but this is one of those
rare occasions where one is desperately needed, so if you want me to answer
that question you must first give me a PRECISE definition of exactly what
you mean by "the Helsinki man". ​

​I have a precise unambitious definition of "the Helsinki man", do you? ​

​>>​
>> and I asked after the experiment was completed what one and only one city
>> did “you"
>

> ​>​
> That is silly. You must ask both of course.

If its silly to ask just one of the two after the duplication them its even
sillier to ask to ask the question in Helsinki when there is only one
person in existence to ask.

​>>​
>> So what the hell did we agree on??
>

> *​>​That the W-guy and the M-guy are both implementation of the H-guy,
> like you just said above.*

I also said above the W-guy is NOT the M-guy, and before I can say we agree
about the H-guy I need to know exactly precisely what you mean by "the
H-guy".
​

John K Clark​