On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 9:10:57 AM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
>> constructive notion (cf the universal dovetailer, or the sigma_1 truth, …).
>>

>> which is not only incoherent, but it is empirically false?  There is this
>>> myth that "everything exists" or "everything happens" is a consequence of
>>> quantum mechanics and it therefore proved by physics.  But quantum
>>> mechanics predicts probability(x)=0 for many values of x, c.f. arXiv:0702121
>>>

>> Like the universal dovetailer, or its logical specification: which makes
>> infinitely many proposition wrong. I am sure you know that no-one in this
>> claim, neither from computationalism, nor from QM-without-collapse, that
>> everything happen. That myth is a bit straw-man. Now, if you believe in
>> 2+2=4 & Co., the many-computations is already in a tiny segment of the
>> arithmetical (standard) model/truth, and indeed accessed by a very weak
>> theory like Robinson Arithmetic. That is obviously consistent.
>>

>>> Brent
>>>
>>> *I would rather call "everything happens" an illusion rather than a
>> myth, and IMO it originates from the interpretation of the superposition
>> that all components states, *
>>

>> Of course, that is not my case. I discover the “many computations” in the
>> mechanist theory of mind, or just in arithmetic. I actually predicted that
>> we must (when assuming Mechanism) see the many-history aspect of the
>> physical reality by looking below our substitution level. At that time, and
>> later, I will believe in the collapse axiom, and I took QM as a threat to
>> Mechanism, until I read Everett (and DeWitt’s short paper in Physics
>> Today). that, I consider QM as confirming Mechanism, and quite so after
>> Aspect experiment.
>> Grayson, I don’t see how you can accept quantum mechanics, and not the
>> physical reality of the superpositions.
>>

> *It's really your problem, not mine. In QM we write a superposition for
> the wf of a system and use it to calculate the probability of measuring
> various eigenstates. All QM gives is probabilities of measurements and you
> know how to do the calculation. With me so far? Now someone comes along,
> you and your deluded comrades, and claims the system being measured is
> physically in all eigenstates simultaneously before measurement. But where
> did you use this additional claim in your calculation or in writing the
> superposition? Anyone can write anything, and the fact that you write the
> system's wf as a sum of eigenstates proves nothing about its meaning.  You
> never used this additional claim in your calculation, or by virtue of
> writing the sum, since writing it down proves nothing about its meaning.
> It's completely superfluous. Plus, very importantly, since bases are NOT
> unique in Hilbert space, the superposed state you attribute so much to,
> could have written in other bases, thus supporting the argument that the
> component states of the original superposition are not special, and thus
> the claim is specious that the system was in fact in all those particular

*Simplified version; for spin particles, the Up + Dn state only makes sense
if the wf is understood in a restricted way; as a tool for measuring
probabilities. If you want to make the additional claim that the system is
physically in both component states simultaneously before measuring, you
have to admit that you have no idea what this (physically) means and are
indulging an unintelligible group fantasy. AG*