On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 8:26 PM, <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yes, the Busy Beaver Function is not computable. We know that:
>>
>> BB(1) =1
>> BB(2) =6
>> BB(3) =21
>> BB(4) =107
>>

> *>You haven't *written* the function, just its alleged values for
> 1,2,3,4.  What is the function? *

Starting with a all zero tape BB(N) is the number of operations any N state
Turing Machine performs after it writes the largest number of 1's and then
halts. It is very important that it halt, some machines will go on forever
but they don't count. For example we know for sure that BB(5) is at least
47,176,870 because one 5 state Turing Machine has been found that halts
after it goes through 47,176,870 operations (and prints 4098 1’s on the
tape), but there are 28 other 5 state machines displaying non-regular
behavior that are well past 47,176,870 operations and 4098 1's. If one of
them eventually halts then that larger number of operations will be BB(5),
if none of them ever halts then 47,176,870 really is BB(5); but the trouble
is we'll never be able to know it’s 47,176,870 because we'll never know
that none of those other 28 5 state machines will never halt because the
Halting problem is insolvable.

John K Clark