On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 2:19:40 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> [...]
>>> such as sin(x) or e^x, or even x + y does not magically make the
>>> related computations non-algorithmic. How do you think you learned how
>>> to add, subtract, multiply and divide in basic school? Those were
>>> algorithms.
>>>
>>> Well-defined just means that there is a non-ambiguous way to know if a
>>> given value corresponds to a given input of the function. If I tell
>>> you to consider the function f, such that its value is zero no matter
>>> the input, then I gave you a well-defined function in plain English.
>>> There is nothing magical about notation.
>>>
>>> Telmo.
>>>

>> *So a "function" must have a well defined domain set, finite or infinite,
>> and is not limited to closed forms but includes infinite series and
>> algorithms. In such case, an infinite loop, even if it has an initial
>> value, is not a function and not computable, whereas all closed forms are
>> computable. Agreed? AG *
>>

>> Infinite loop can be extended into the computable. The problem are
>> infinite computations getting more and more complex, and with no loop.
>>

> *I don't see why an infinite loop can be computable. I see there are
> subtleties in this concept.  AG*
>

> We will come back on this. If there is a loop, it might be dented and the
> non computable function is not computable only in a superficial manner: it
> can be extended into something computable, but that will not be the case
> for most machine’s attribute. But you need to have a some understanding of
> the diagonal of Cantor.
>

>> I am not sure what you mean by close form.
>>

> *Initially, I meant something that can be written down explicitly or
> expressly, like a polynomial, and can be calculated for every value in its
> domain. I then extended it to infinite series or sums, which converge. I
> then accepted that functions could include software algorithms.  AG*
>

> OK. (That is a combinator, actually, but we will come back on this).
>

>> No worry, we will see soon, example of well defined functions which are
>> not computable. Basically all attributes of universal machine are not
>> computable.
>>

> *This seems very UN-intuitive. Incidentally, my computer broke down again
> due to a faulty repair two months ago. I am using a library computer which
> limits my time and is unavailable on Sunday. It will slow my plan to study
> some of your material, including Cantor's proof.  AG*
>

> OK. Actually I will be slowed down too, as the exam period has begun today.
>

> *Finally, a general critical comment on your theory, CMIIAW, that
> consciousness causes the illusion of matter and the apparent reality of
> events and processes.  As I previously noted on this or a related thread,
> consciousness seems to be a late comer to the universe.*
>

> I can understand, but here mechanism will change this, in an admittedly
> quite counter-intuitive way.
> We will have:
>
> Number ==> consciousness ==> matter/universes ==> human consciousness.

*How can consciousness be (logically) prior to matter when we have hugely
strong evidence of the opposite? Can you give a plausibility argument? Mine
would be this, acquired on some LSD trips on a galaxy long long time ago
and far far away; whatever we see as we view the world appears to partake
in consciousness; Yes, "inanimate" matter as well. AG *