On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 2:33:31 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:11 PM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > How does *the arrow shot at a target *(in Zeno's Paradox) *compute* the
>> truth of the forall-exists quantifier construct in the Caucy definition?
>>

> I know how calculus computes it, I don't know for a fact the arrow
> computes it the same way but whatever the method the arrow uses it comes up
> with the same answer that calculus does, and calculus proves there is no
> logical contradiction and hence no paradox in what the arrow is doing.
>
> > *When one simulates the arrow shot at a target on a computer using a
>> numerical calculus software package, there are only floating-point numbers,*
>>

> If you don't like approximations and floating-point numbers and want an
> exact answer then run Mathematica on your computer and solve it
> symbolically, it can solve calculus problems much better than you can.
>
> John K Clark

That nature itself is performing symbolic computing is even more
interesting.

What about the big thing now,* automatic differentiation*?
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_differentiation

see differentiable programming space.

One can various formalisms that "work" (give the "right answers") but that
doesn't tell you which specific one of those formalisms is "true" or what
the arrow is in-itself.

- pt