On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 10:34:56 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

> On 12/16/2018 12:58 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>
> It's not "my Platonic arithmetic theory" --- This is the a very popular
> theory among mathematicians
> <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEAvukZItOCKGXXBf38pv0OlPOxT0i8N7qPky35TqoWgwNQQ/viewanalytics>
>
> and also the most commonly held ideas in philosophy of mathematics among
> professional mathematicians.
>
> Prominent mathematicians that were well known Platonists, include:
>
>    -  Bertrand Russell <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell>,
>    [12] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#cite_note-SEP-P-12>
>
> Russell wrote, "In mathematics we never know what we're talking about nor
> whether what we say is true."  Russell was ready to accept anything into
> mathematics, but I don't think that made him a Platonist.
>

>    - Alonzo Church <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alonzo_Church>,[12]
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#cite_note-SEP-P-12>
>    - Kurt Gödel <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_G%C3%B6del>,[12]
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#cite_note-SEP-P-12>
>    -  W. V. O. Quine <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._V._O._Quine>,[12]
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#cite_note-SEP-P-12>
>

> Quine argued that what exists is whatever is posited by our accepted
> theories of science.  He thought this meant that mathematics necessary to
> science was "real", but I don't know what he thought of Harty Field.
>
> Brent
>

>    - David Kaplan
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kaplan_(philosopher)>,[12]
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#cite_note-SEP-P-12>
>    - Saul Kripke <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Kripke>,[12]
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#cite_note-SEP-P-12>
>    -  Edward Zalta <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Zalta>.[13]
>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#cite_note-13>
>    - John Conway
>    - Roger Penrose
>
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/platonism/
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#Modern_Platonism
> https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-opinion-on-mathematical-Platonism
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlPj_qGIt8

On Hartry Field, a news item:

*Professor Hartry Field (New York University) will give the 2018–2019
Romanell Lecture at the 2019 APA Eastern Division meeting in New York City*
[https://blog.apaonline.org/2018/03/16/har
try-field-to-give-the-2018-2019-romanell-lecture-on-philosophical-naturalism/
 … <https://t.co/pu7vzE9RRp>] 2019 APA Eastern Division Meeting January
7-10, 2019 program: [https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.apaonline.
org/resource/resmgr/eastern2019/E2019_Meeting_Program.pdf …
<https://t.co/RlBTDaspeG>]

*The chair of the selection committee said, “Hartry Field has been a major
contributor to metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of language, logic,
and mathematics for almost fifty years. From his earliest work—‘Tarksi’s
Theory of Truth’ (Journal of Philosophy, 1972); ‘Theory Change and the
Indeterminacy of Reference’ (Journal of Philosophy, 1973); ‘Quine and the
Correspondence Theory’ (Philosophical Review, 1974)—Field has developed an
extraordinarily sophisticated and detailed naturalistic approach to central
questions in philosophy about the relationship between language, mind, and
world.”*

*Professor Field is also the author of Science without Numbers (1980);
Realism, Mathematics, and Modality (1989); Truth and the Absence of Fact
(2001); and Saving Truth from Paradox (2008). He is Silver Professor of
Philosophy and University Professor at New York University.*

"In the 1980s, Field started a project in the philosophy of mathematics
discussing mathematical fictionalism, the doctrine that all mathematical
statements are merely useful fictions, and should not be taken to be
literally true. More precisely, *Field holds that the existence of sets may
be denied, in opposition to Quine and Putnam.*" [Wikipedia]

- pt