On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 3:48:30 AM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:

> cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox
>

> In the usual EPR-type experiment, a particle A is sent westward and
> "correlated" particle B is sent eastward. (A could travel 5 miles and B
> could travel just 5 feet, for example.) But their detection outputs show
> that A and B are "entangled" so that apparently the detection setups at
> both ends influences the "final" states of A and B.
>

> In another EPR-type experiment, an emitter sends one particle A "skyward"
> into space, and simultaneously a twin particle B to a detector nearby.
> Depending on what the B detector measures, an unlucky grandfather is killed
> or not. The A particle bends around a massive object (its path bent by
> general relativity - it could also be more than one massive object involved
> in its travel)  light years away and returns to Earth 30 years later when
> that grandfather's grandchild has set up a detector for A whose measurement
> results in the grandfather's death.
>

> - pt

I should add that the difference in the above example from the typical one

    A-detector   <-----   Source -----> B-detector
                            A                   B

is that in the typical example the time of travel A and the time of travel
of B are fairly equal (though both very short), but in the above example
the time of travel of A is decades, while B stays the same.

- pt