Hi Cosmin,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019, at 08:42, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List wrote:
> 1) Oh, I'm clearly not making that mistake. When I talk about emergence, I
> talk about ontological emergence, not the hand-waving epistemic kind that
> people usually talk about. The emergence that I'm talking about is the
> emergence of new qualia on top of previously existing qualia. This is what my
> book is about. So it's the real deal. Alternatively, have a look at my
> presentation from the Science & Nonduality conference where I talk about The
> Emergent Structure of Consciousness, where I talk about ontological emergence
> and I specifically mention to the audience that the epistemic emergence is
> false: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jMAy6ft-ZQ
> And what realizes the ontological emergence is self-reference through its
> property of looking-back-at-itself, with looking-back becoming more than
> itself, like in the cover of the book.

Ok, I saw your presentation. We agree on several things, but I don't quite get
your qualia emergence idea. The things you describe make sense, for example the
dissolution of meaning by repetition, but what makes you think that this is
anything more than an observation in the domain of the cognitive sciences? Or,
putting it another way, and observation / model on how our cognitive processes
work?

> 2) Consciousness is not mysterious. And this is exactly what my book is
> doing: demystifying consciousness. If you decide to read my book, you will
> gain at the end of it a clarity of thinking through these issues that all
> people should have such that they will stop making the confusions that robots
> are alive.

I don't mean to discourage or attack you in anyway, but one in a while someone
with a book to promote shows up in this mailing list. No problem with me, I
have promoted some of my work sometimes. My problem is with "if you read my
book...". There are many books to read, please give the main ideas. Then I
might read it.

> 3) No, they are not extraordinarily claims. They are quite trivial. And they
> start from the trivial realization that the brain does not exist. The "brain"
> is just an idea in consciousness.

I have no problem with "the brain is just an idea in consciousess". I am not
sure if this type of claim can be verified, or if it falls into the category of
things we cannot assert, as Bruno would say. I do tend to think privately in
those terms.

So ok, the brain does not exist. It is just a bunch of qualia in consciousness.
But this is then true of every single thing! Again, no problem with this, but
also no reason to abandon science. The machine doesn't exist either, but its
elections (that don't exist either) follow a certain pattern of behavior that
we call the laws of physics. Why not the electrons in the brain? What's the
difference?

Telmo.