On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 8:08:58 PM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 6:53:33 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, I don't remember what, if anything, I intended to text.
>>
>> I'm not expert on how Einstein arrived at his famous field equations.  I
>> know that he insisted on them being tensor equations so that they would
>> have the same form in all coordinate systems.  That may sound like a
>> mathematical technicality, but it is really to ensure that the things in
>> the equation, the tensors, could have a physical interpretation.  He also
>> limited himself to second order differentials, probably as a matter of
>> simplicity.  And he excluded torsion, but I don't know why.  And of course
>> he knew it had to reproduce Newtonian gravity in the weak/slow limit.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> Here's a link which might help;
>
>  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1608.05752.pdf
>
> AG

I'm coming to the view that what I have been seeking these many years -
namely, a mathematical derivation of Einstein's field equations, somewhat
like a mathematical theorem -- doesn't exist. It's more a case of a set of
highly subtle physical intuitions about how the universe functions, which,
when cobbled together, result in the field equations. For this reason, most
alleged explanations of GR involve, at some point, essentially pulling the
field equations out of the proverbial hat.  As with the Principle of
Relativity and the Least Action Principle, the latter say applied to
asserting geodesic motion for freely falling bodies, they're not provable
as "true", but assuming them "false" would be a dead-end for physics and
would, as well, make our lives miserable. AG