On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:47:36PM +1000, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:14 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
>     On 16 May 2019, at 03:27, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 12:59 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
>         wrote:
>
>             The first order theory of the real numbers does not require
>             arithmetical realism, but the same theory + the trigonometrical
>             functions reintroduce the need of being realist on the integers.
>             Sin(2Pix) = 0 defines the integers  in that theory.
>
>             If you reject arithmetical realism, you need to tell us which
>             axioms you reject among,
>
>             1) 0 ≠ s(x)
>             2) x ≠ y -> s(x) ≠ s(y)
>             3) x ≠ 0 -> Ey(x = s(y))
>             4) x+0 = x
>             5) x+s(y) = s(x+y)
>             6) x*0=0
>             7) x*s(y)=(x*y)+x
>

> You say that "realism" is just acceptance of the axioms of arithmetic above.
> But then you say that arithmetical statements are true in the model of
> arithmetic given by the natural integers. There is a problem here: are the
> integers the model of your axioms above, or is it only the axioms that are
> "real". If the integers are the model, then they must exist independently of
> the axioms -- they are separately existing entities that satisfy the axioms,
> and their existence cannot then be a consequence of the axioms, on pain of
> vicious circularity.

Axioms 1-3 define the successor operator s(x). It is enough to
generate the set of whole numbers by repeated application on the
element 0. As a shorthand, we can use traditional decimal notation (eg
5) to refer to the element s(s(s(s(s(0))))). 4&5 define addition, and
6&7 define multiplication on these objects.

Goedel's incompleteness theorem demonstrates there are true statements
of these objects that cannot be proven from those axioms alone.

In that sense, the whole numbers are a consequence of those axioms,
whilst also being separately existing entities (having a life of their own).

There are also nonstandard airthmetics, that involve adding additional
elements (infinite ones) that cannot be created by successive
application of s.

Given these 7 axioms can also be viewed as an algorithm for generating
the whole numbers, acceptance of the Church-Turing thesis (ie the
existence of a universal Turing machine) is sufficient to reify the
whole numbers. Conversely, this arithmetic is sufficient to generate
all possible Turing machine (IIRC, the proof involves Diophantine
equations, but wiser heads then me may confirm or deny).

A converse position (held by a small minority of mathematicians) is
that perhaps not all whole numbers exist - that there is some
(unspecified) maximum integer x for which s(x) is not meaningful, and
in particular, for which axiom 3 is false. In such an environment, the
CT thesis must be false, there can be no universal machine capable of
emulating all other others - there must be at least one such machine
whose emulation program is too long to fit on the obviously finite length tape.

Bruno's work does not address this ultrafinitist case, as the CT
thesis is an explicit assumption. Except that the Movie Graph Argument
is supposedly about that case.

Cheers