On 5/20/2019 2:06 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 17 May 2019, at 08:56, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.net <mailto:te...@telmomenezes.net>> wrote:

On Sat, May 11, 2019, at 00:02, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:42 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 8:16 AM Bruce Kellett
    <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            Then with mechanism, we get the many-histories from a
            simple fact to prove: all computations are realised in
             all models of arithmetic.

        But arithmetic does not exist independently of the human
        mind, and mechanism is manifestly a pipe dream.

    You sound certain.  What is your evidence?

    Jason

The is no evidence for mathematical realism,

There is plenty of evidence, informally known as "the unreasonable effectiveness of math". Does this mean that mathematical realism is true? No, but then again the same applies to all promising ideas.

and mechanism is a failed idea because it cannot account for our experience.

Nothing so far can account for our experience, this is why we keep having all these discussions.

It seems to me that the mathematics of the first person self-referential modes of the machine (those with “& p”) does account of our experience. And up to now, it does account of the “matter appearances”.

The universal machine can be said to know that she has a soul, and that she knows that her soul is not a machine, nor even anything third person describable.

Do you agree that consciousness is what is, from the 1p view of the machine:

1) true
2) immediately knowable and indubitable
3) non provable
4) non definable (but still meta-definable using “mechanism”)
+
5) invariant for some digital substitution

Then it is a theorem that the Mechanist Universal machine can prove: "consciousness is true for me”.

First, it is a fallacy to infer from "X has properties P" and "Y has properties P" to "X is Y".

1)  It is not the case that whatever I am conscious of I think is true.  For one, I am generally conscious of many things that are not propositions.  2)  I don't think conscious is immediately knowable.  One is not conscious of being conscious immediately.  I takes reflection.  Your idea of the 1p view of the machine is what is CT provable by the machine.  Which is certainly not the human view of consciousness. There are many things provable from PA by me which I will never even consider, much less be immediately aware of. 3)  I don't even know what it would mean for consciousness to be provable, nor why that is relevant.  Proof applies to propositions. The Moon isn't provable.  But we can study the Moon and predict things about the Moon. 4) Under the plausible hypothesis that one is not unique, consciousness is ostensively definable: "Did you feel that pinch?" If it were not definable we wouldn't know what we're talking about when we say it's not definable.  Of course Bertrand Russell once quipped that,"As mathematicians we never know what we're talking about, or whether what we say is true." 5) Is just a working hypothesis and since the "level of substitution" could be anything from one e-neuron to ones past light cone, it's not very clear what is it's significance.

We get a science, extended into a theology, and in particular, we get a theory of quanta, extended by a theory of qualia, making this theory of consciousness testable, by testing its quanta part with nature. Thanks to QM, it fits.

It fits like my overcoat fits my grandson...nothing is left sticking out.

Brent

I am aware that you don’t seem convince by this, but I am not sure what it is that you are missing, or what you think the explanation above is missing.

Of course, all what I say comes from the theorems of Gödel, Löb and Solovay about the logic of self-reference of the Löbian machines (PA, ZF, ZFC, …).

Knowing is also defined axiomatically. It is given by the modal logic S4. With the Theaetetus’ definition applied on Gödel’s beweisbar, we get an extension of S4, (S4Grz), making sense for the definition of consciousness.

Bruno

Telmo.

Bruce

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email toeverything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email toeverything-l...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.
Visit this group athttps://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email toeverything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/e991a7e6-c30c-4726-b53d-ed7e68184783%40www.fastmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/e991a7e6-c30c-4726-b53d-ed7e68184783%40www.fastmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/30D8F4DE-EC5F-4533-B864-6AFAB6197684%40ulb.ac.be <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/30D8F4DE-EC5F-4533-B864-6AFAB6197684%40ulb.ac.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.