> On 20 Jul 2019, at 14:55, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 4:18 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> >> X is a Turing Machine if and only if for any given input to X there exists
> >> a Turing Machine that will produce the same output as X does with the same
> >> input.
>
> > That works for a lambda expression to.
>
> No it does not work because machines have inputs and outputs but "lambda
> expressions" have neither

What???

> and are just a sequence of squiggles

Of course not, you make your repeated confusion between 2 and “2”, but you
could do it for the universa Turing machine quadruplets.

> that never change and mean nothing unless a brain made of matter that obeys
> the laws of physics is added into the mix.

Only if the whole is blessed with Holy Spirit.

You cannot invoke a metaphysical commitment in reasoning.

> > You confuse the mathematical notion of Turing machine, with its general
> > sense,
>
> You confuse the fact that a "general sense" can't *do* anything but a machine
> can. And a paper tape and read/write head doesn't know or need to know
> anything about mathematical notation other than 1 and 0. It just knows it can
> print one of those two symbols and then either halt or move right or left;
> and that's all it needs.
>
> >All universal machine/formalisme can emulate all universal machine/formalism.
>
> What in the world is machine/formalism?! It sounds to me like big/little or
> possible/impossible or "this statement is false".
>
> >> Do you know of anything simpler that can make calculations than read a
> >> square, erase what you read and then print either a 0 or a 1 on it
> >> depending on your state, then change into another state depending on what
> >> you read, then either halt or move right or left and read another square.
>
> > Yes, combinators are simpler, and lambda expression too. It is just simple
> > substation. Can you imagine something simpler that
>
> K x y = x
> S x y z = x z (y z)
> ?
>
> Yes, I can indeed imagine something simpler than that, seventeen times
> simpler to be exact, it is this:
> *
> I only used one ASCII character while you used 17; my character can't
> calculate anything but neither can your 17.

In have no idea what you mean by “*”, but above you clearly confuse "K x y = x
S x y z = x z (y z)” and K x y = x S x y z = x z (y z).

Bruno