Hello List,

In my extracurricular studies, I have been reading Kolb's "An Introduction
to Brain and Behavior" (2e, 2005), specifically the opening chapter on the
origins of the feedback loop between brain and behavior, and the dramatic
impact that small lesions throughout the brain have on ones behavior.

This is relevant to a number of discussions on this list (to my mind/brain)
as it seems to create some rather severe constraints surrounding the
success criteria of a "duplication" of a brain.

>From the reading, it would appear that, in order to a proper digital
duplication of a brain to take place, the so-called "substitution level" at
which you would be willing to say "Yes doctor" would actually have to be
satisfied at multiple levels of analysis (i.e. chemically, neurochemically,
biologically, physically, socially, psychologically, interpersonally).
These levels of analysis are not captured in any complete mathematical
formalism that I know of.

A doctor intending to "duplicate your brain" would have to plan on a)
copying your brain in a current state (statically + dynamic equations to
fill in details of "next state" operation; b) destroying some or all parts
of your brain to be replaced/duplicated; c) reconstituting your brain (in
either the biological way (probably absolutely intractable) or some
sufficiently digitally exact copy (today, practically intractable) such
that it replicated the function of what was to be replaced/duplicated. This
would have to be perfect enough to keep all of the levels of
substitution/analysis described above in tact.

We know from even seemingly minor cases of brain damage that the "person"
before the damage (i.e. YOU) and the "person" after the damage (YOU?) are
not the same... memories are fragmented, behavioral patterns change, and
significant others who would previously have enjoyed YOUR company might now
be frustrated when spending time with YOU.

So would you ever say yes to the doctor? Why? What kind of confidence would
you need to be willing to bet such a duplication/replacement would be
successful?

I submit that your confidence would (and should) be quite low. This is
because a) there could be more than one substitution level; b) dynamical
properties of the brain are just as important (if not more) as their
general static properties (eg. the connectome); c) intersubjective
agreement about whether  you are the same person is just as (if not more)
important after duplication, as it is assumed after the duplication that
you will go on to join society in whatever capacity you did before the
duplication.

My computer earlier today wouldn't boot up. Apparently, one of the key
files it needed got corrupted and I needed to replace it using a restore
disk. It took about an hour to fix. This is for an actual full fledged
honest-to-goodness digital machine. And its failure was completely
unpredictable based on previous behavior of the machine.Either a) I did
something in my previous session to cause the corruption or b) the
corruption happened randomly.

What about something as complex (and integrated into its environment) as
the brain? What could go wrong in a duplication here?

TL;DR CONCLUSIONS --

1) Thought experiments about the completion of duplications/destructions of
brains gloss over so many necessary empirical details regarding brain
function and continual identity that they can come to no useful conclusions
about anything.

2) "Mechanism" as used on this list (i.e. the computational hypothesis that
our minds can (and indeed are) replicated in the structure of the natural
numbers is FALSE.