On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 2:14:26 PM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 1:42:43 PM UTC-5, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 8:38:12 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:
>>>
>>> All that assumes that infinity exists for any meaningful use of the word
>>> “exists” and as far as I know nobody has ever found a infinite number of
>>> anything. Mathematics can write stories about the infinite in the language
>>> of mathematics but are they fiction or nonfiction?
>>>
>>> John k Clark
>>>

>> Infinity is not a number in the usual sense, but more a cardinality of a
>> set. Infinity has been a source of trouble for some. I work with Hilbert
>> spaces that have a form of construction that is finite, but where the
>> finite upper limit is not bounded ---- it can always be increased. This is
>> because of entropy bounds, such as the Bekenstein bound for black holes and
>> Bousso bounds on AdS, that demands a finite state space for local physics.
>> George Cantor made some set theoretic sense out of infinities, even a
>> hierarchy of them. This avoids some difficulties. However, I think that
>> mathematics in general is not as rich if you work exclusively in finitude.
>> Fraenkel-Zermelo set theory even has an axiom of infinity. The main point
>> is with axiomatic completeness, and mathematics with infinity is more
>> complete.
>>
>> Richard Feynman talked about Greek mathematics, the axiomatic formal
>> systems of mathematics, and Babylonian mathematics that is set up for
>> practical matters. I have no particular preference for either, and think it
>> is interesting to switch hats.
>>
>> LC

> If an actual "black hole" (relativistic) computer existed, it would
> effectively compute an infinite number of operations in finite time.
>
> One could have, in effect, an *infinite-time Turing machine*.
>
> https://arxiv.org/abs/math/9808093
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Farxiv.org%2Fabs%2Fmath%2F9808093&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEmfCZe-55X9cBWq8Bcsq11vVN6nA>
>
> We extend in a natural way the operation of Turing machines to infinite
> ordinal time.
>
> But all this is fiction.

Black holes are limited to the amount of information they contain by the
Bekenstein bound. Also the duration of a black hole is T ~ M^3. So an
observer of the outside world would not encounter an infinite Cauchy
sequence of null rays at the inner event horizon. The idea of the infinite
task or hyper-Turing machine is interesting, but it may only adjust the
Chaitin halting probability for any given algorithm closer to 0 or 1, but
not absolutely determine halting or non-halting status.

LC