> On 9 Aug 2019, at 04:07, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>>
>>> On 8 Aug 2019, at 13:59, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 8:51 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
>>> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>>> If the superposition are not relevant, then I don’t have any minimal
>>> physical realist account of the two slit experience, or even the stability
>>> of the atoms.
>>> Don't be obtuse, Bruno. Of course there is a superposition of the paths in
>>> the two slit experiment. But these are not orthogonal basis vectors. That
>>> is why there is interference.
>>
>> But each path are orthogonal. See the video of Susskind, where he use 1 and
>> 0 to describe the boxes where we can find by which hole the particles has
>> gone through. Then, without looking at which hole the particle has gone
>> through, we can get the interference of the wave which is obliged to be
>> taken as spread on both holes, and that represent the superposition of the
>> two orthogonal state described here as 0 and 1.
> I seldom watch long videos of lectures. But if Susskind is saying that the
> paths taken by the particle through the two slits are orthogonal then he is
> flatly wrong. Writing the paths as 1 and 0 does not make them orthogonal. And
> if they were orthogonal they could not interact, and you would not get
> interference. Two states |0> and |1> are orthogonal if their overlap
> vanishes: <0|1> = 0. Interference comes from the overlap, so if this
> vanishes, there is no interference.
> Either Susskind is terminally confused, or you have misrepresented him.

Or maybe you are wrong. Slit one is orthogonal to slit two, as much as spin in
different direction. The interference comes from the fact that we get a
superposition of going through slit one + going through slit two when we send a
planar monochromatic wave on the wall with the two slits, and don’t measure
which slit the particle go through. That is how Susskind explains the two slit
experiment in term of entanglement. You don’t need to look at the whole video,
I gave the position of this sub-talk in the video.

Any crisp measurement, like “which slit” gives rise to orthogonal state, which
can interfere when superposed.

Bruno