> On 18 Aug 2019, at 13:57, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 4:53:28 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> Model theory illustrate that pure mathematics has meaning.
>

> A model is a so-called 'structure':
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/model-theory/
> <https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/model-theory/>
>
> But allowable structures, typically mathematical entities in the model
> theories of many, are only material (physical) entities in the model theory
> of Hartry Field.

That is a bit of nonsense. Or Hartree Field notion of model has nothing to do
with what logicians called a model (a mathematical structure with a notion of
satisfaction).

> For example, a model of arithmetic could be an actual  semiconductor logic
> gate chip with RAM.

I don’t understand this. A model of arithmetic is a set of object which
provides an interpretation of the terms (0, S(0), …), and an interpretation of
+ and * (in terms of infinite set of couples).

Bruno