On Friday, September 13, 2019, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4:42:00 PM UTC-6, Jason wrote:

>>> Our universe is, on a large scale, homogeneous. But it can't be infinite
>>> since it has only been expanding for finite time, 13.8 BY. I had a
>>> discussion with Brent about this some time ago, and he claimed finite in
>>> time doesn't preclude infinite in space. I strongly disagree. Perhaps I am
>>> missing something. Wouldn't be the first time. AG
>>>

>> I think what you may be missing is that in popular (but misleading)
>> accounts of the BB they often say everything originated from a point,
>> rather than everywhere at once.  To say "everything came from a point" is
>> at best only valid for describing the observable universe (or any finite
>> portion of the universe) but is invalid to extrapolate it to the whole
>> universe, which may be spatially infinite.
>>

> I am not assuming our universe began from a mathematical point, but I do
> assume that 13.8 BYA it was very very small, the observable and
> unobservable parts.

Why do you assume this?  Most cosmologists make no such assumption.  Under
the concordance (standard assumed) model of cosmology, space is infinite.

>  I don't think there is an implied disconnect between our measurements of
> the CMBR and what an observer would measure in parts we have no access to.
> It was everywhere hot and dense, and very very small.

There's no observational motivation for the universe being very very small
at the beginning.  It could have been small, large or infinite, for all we
know.

>  If it were infinite at that time, its temperature would have been near
> absolute zero. AG

I think you're working under the assumption that some finite amount of
energy was injected into space at one particular point.  This is not what
the big bang theory says, rather all space (everywhere there was space),
was equally hot and dense.

Inflation modifies the picture a bit where the vacuum of space expands
rapidly due to its high energy density (which suggests a negative
pressure). Under the equations of GR, such a state would expand itself
exponentially.  Eventually parts of this vacuum decay to a lower energy
density, and this dump of energy into space gives us the early hot stage of
the big bang.

We don't know how big this initial inflating space was, but if inflation is
right, most of the universe is still experiencing exponential growth.

Each pocket universe may be finite in volume, but extends infinitely in the
time direction.  As Alan Guth explains, GR can warp things in the internal
view of each pocket universe such that the time and space dimensions flip,
the infinite time dimension within the pocket universe can give rise to the
appearance of infinite space, and the finite space appears as finite time:

https://youtu.be/rfeJhzPq3jQ

Jason