On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 7:12:34 AM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:

> If the early universe, say before the emergence of the CMBR, consisted of
> a random collection of electrons and photons, wouldn't this correspond to a
> *high*, not low entropy? Wouldn't it be analogous to gas with many
> possible states? Yet cosmologists seem hard pressed to explain an initial
> or early state assuming the entropy is low. AG

When I was an undergraduate I took a course in Classical Thermodynamics and
recall being satisfied that entropy was well-defined. I never took a course
in Classical Statistical Mechanics, but I've seen Boltzmann's equation for
S and wonder how N, the number of possible states is defined. If we have a
gas enclosed in a container, we can divide it into occupation cells of
fixed volume to calcuate S. But why can't we double the number of cells by
reducing their volume by half? How then is S well defined in the case of
Classical Statistical Mechanics? TIA, AG