https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.10448

Action Principle for Isotropic General Relativity
Thomas C. Bachlechner
<https://arxiv.org/search/hep-th?searchtype=author&query=Bachlechner%2C+T+C>
(Submitted on 30 Aug 2018)

We study the generally covariant theory governing an isotropic spacetime
region with uniform energy density. Gibbons, Hawking and York showed that
fixing the induced boundary metric yields a well-posed variational problem.
However, as we demonstrate, fixing the boundary metric violates general
covariance and allows the mass of a back hole to vary. This observation has
dramatic consequences for path integrals: A sum over spacetimes with fixed
boundary metrics is a sum over classically distinct black holes. Instead,
we merely demand that coordinates exist such that the metric at the
boundary is the Schwarzschild-(A)dS metric of fixed mass M and two-sphere
radius R. We derive the action that yields a well-posed variational problem
for these physical boundary conditions. The action vanishes for all
stationary and isotropic spacetimes. A vanishing action implies that both a
Schwarzschild black hole and pure de Sitter space each have one unique
semiclassical state. Our results provide a novel and radically conservative
approach to several long-standing issues in quantum gravity, such as the
wavefunction of the universe, the black hole information paradox, vacuum
decay rates and the measure problem of eternal inflation.

@philipthrift