> On 6 Oct 2019, at 22:18, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 6:14:22 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 3 Oct 2019, at 12:12, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 3:39:26 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 1 Oct 2019, at 20:29, John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com <>> wrote:
>>>
>>> How Many Universes Are There? <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglOw2_lozc>
>>>

>> 0.
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>> You've turned Tegmark upside down,
>
> That looks intersting, but I don’t know. Maybe you can elaborate. I published
> my material well before Tegmark, and start from a very different problem (the
> mind-body problem).
> When Tegmark send me his Mathematical Hypothesis paper, I suggest him to use
> the Mechanist hypothesis explicitly to clarify possible ambiguities. What is
> common is the Mathematicalism, but Tegmark still miss the psychologicalism,
> or the theologicalism needed to get physics from arithmetic (and arithmetical
> self-reference).
>
> From what I've read from secondary sources, Tegmark believes that every
> mathematical equation has ontological status wrt SOME universe. So according
> to this pov, there are universes where gravity acts as an inverse cube, and
> all higher powers of inverse radius. You, OTOH, seem to affirm the view that
> there is only one "physical" universe, having no ontological status -- like
> the Matrix in the movie with that name. But quite aside from the ambiguity of
> what "ontological status" means, I don't see how you can deny those
> multitudes of other universes which surely seem "computable". AG

Not really, because the physical appearances, when we assume mechanism, have to
emerge for all computations, that is why the physical laws have to be unique.

Than entails also that the physical reality is NOT emulable by a Turing
machine. In arithmetic, the emergence process is related to the first person,
that no machine can define explicitly, as no machine can know which machine she
is, nor which computations support her.

If “I” am a machine, more exactly, if my local body is Turing emulable, then my
consciousness and the material reality are not, although it can be approximated
by computation, and digital physics (false metaphysically) remains quite
interesting in physical local applications.

I think that Tegmark has evolved a little bit by not taking all mathematical
equations, but only the computable one (missing the important universal one
which are only partial computable.

>> on his head. But the same core fallacy remains. AG
>
> Which one?
>
> The idea that "computable" implies ontological status, or even a perfect
> simulation of one, such as in the movie The Matrix. AG

You need only to believe that we can infer Ex(x+3=5) from 2+3=5. There is no
metaphysics in the arithmetical assumption, only in the "yes doctor”. That is
metaphysical, even theological. Then the reasoning shows that the physical
reality has no ontological status: that simply does not exist (when we assume
that the brain is Turing emulable).

> I say 0 universe since my birth, not because it would be incompatible with
> Mechanism (which it is), but because I have never seen any evidence for an
> ontologically real universe.
>
> What evidence could possibly exist as "evidence" for an ontologically real
> evidence?

Any evidence is dream-able, But we can have indirect evidences, like Mechanism
implies apparent indeterminacy, apparent non locality, and apparent non closing
of matter, and that has been verified from QM, a theory whose evidences are the
many experiences in physics.

> And if Mechanism just means the brain and nervous system can be replaced with
> computer chips, I don't see any connection between this hypothesis and the
> whether the externally appearing universe is "real". AG

Have you study the 8 steps of the UDA? That is the explanation for the 15 years
old. Ask any question, and if you want we can do the steps one by one. (See for
example my shirt presentation here:
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

Now, the step 7 requires knowing that the notion of computation is a purely
arithmetical notion, at the semantic level (which is important because we have
both that arithmetic contains all the description of computation, but that is
different from the fact that the arithmetic truth (a non syntactical concept)
realise those computations.

Bruno