On 10-10-2019 23:42, John Clark wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 5:16 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

And of course nobody but me has bothered to read his book, but
everybody has an opinion about it.

_You keep posting that, but I've already posted that I have read
Carroll's book, _

Sorry, I missed that.

_I don't think QM is the last word,_

Neither do I and neither does Carroll.

_so it's not a good idea to draw a lot of far fetched
conclusions...like infinitely many universes in which everything
happens. _

The trouble is to avoid that far fetched conclusion you must make some
far fetched assumptions as I'm sure you know having read Carroll's
book. Many Worlds is stripped down quantum mechanics devoid of all
extraneous bells and whistles.

_ __it leaves open questions like whether the split "propagates" at
less than light speed or is instantaneous because it happens in
Hilbert space.  Carroll cops out by saying either one works...which
is what Bohr would have said.  _

True, and the exact same thought occurred to me when I read that in
Carroll's book...., well,... Bohr was the second greatest physicist of
the 20th century so I guess it's not surprising if sometimes he makes
a good point.

Indeed. The opposition to the MWI is not really motivated by the technical details, people tend to oppose it because they don't like the idea of "many words". Technical details are invoked but these apply just as well to QM in general not just to MWI. The MWI could indeed be wrong in a technical sense but that's then unlikely to strip the "many worlds" aspect of it away.

This is similar to how Fred Hoyle vigorously argued against the Big Bang theory. He didn't like it and as far as he was concerned it was all baloney. He attacked the theory on the issue of the synthesis of the elements. As originally proposed, all elements were supposed to have been formed during the Big Bang. Hoyle realized that this couldn't have been the case and he successfully developed the theory of stellar nucleosynthesis. So, he did prove wrong the original version of the Big Bang theory, but that didn't disprove the general idea of the Big Bang.

Saibal