On 10/14/2019 12:00 PM, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 2:20 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

    > /Part of the dislike of the MWI is that its proponents assume a
    purity that is not an evident virtue of the intepretation.  For
    example,interpreting the squared amplitudes as probabilities seems
    to be assumed,/

It's not assumed its concluded based on overwhelming experimental evidence

But in the theory that's just adding the Born rule on empirical evidence.  For the same reason it implies that only one world is realized.

and the fact that Gleason's theorem tells us that in 3 spatial dimensions the Born Rule is the only way probability can be unitary.

Given unitary evolution you mean.  Probability can be conserved just by renormalizing as in CI, whatever the rule.

    /> If you ask "probabilities of what?"in MWI the answer can't be
    probability of existing because MWI has committed to all solutions/

But it can be the probability that something similar to me as I am right now will see Moscow in one second, I say "similar" because the me that might see Moscow in one second would not be exactly the same as the me of right now because that me would see Moscow and I don't right now.

OK, how similar does that something have to be.  Does it have to be conscious?  have memories?  Why can't it exist in a superposition of states?  Remember, being in Moscow or being in Washington is a superposition is some other basis.

    /> So it becomes probability of finding yourself in a particular
    world...which depends on a theory of consciousness /

I'll be damned if i can see what consciousness has to do with it. The Born rule would also give the probability a film camera with a automatic one second timer will take a picture that when developed will turn out to be a picture of Moscow.

But according to MWI it will also take a picture of Washington.  The Born rule isn't part of MWI...it has to derived (or more often just borrowed from CI).  Suppose the camera is triggered by the decay of a radioactive atom and it is taking a picture of a clock.  What time will it have on its film?  Must we suppose there are an uncountable infinity worlds with different times recorded?