On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 2:52:05 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:58 PM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > Spacetime does not really fundamentally exist. It is just a geometric
>> representation for how qubits interact and are entangled with each other.
>>

> I agree it's possible Spacetime is not fundamental, it might be a
> composite and be constructed out of something else, but if that more
> fundamental "something else" is how Qubits interact and if there is a
> smallest scale at which a quantum bit of information can be localized then
> how can there be a one to one correspondence between the finite number of
> such localized areas and the infinite number of points in smooth continuous
> geometric spacetime that the Gamma Ray Burst results seem to indicate is
> the way things really are?
>
>  John K Clark

Spacetime is an epiphenomenology of entanglement. There are several ways
entanglement can happen. There is topological order that has no scaling, or
where the entanglement occurs without any reference to space or distance.
Then there are symmetry protected topological orders, where there is a
locality. How these two are related is a matter of research, but it is a
sort of quantum phase transition.

An event horizon is a region where on either side there are entangled
states. Close to the horizon there is are small regions on either side that
are entangled. Further away these regions are larger. This has a sort of
scaling and fractal geometry to it. As with fractals or chaos there are
regions with regular dynamics where things are smooth and these are related
to fractal geometry by the Feigenbaum number 4.669... . Classical spacetime
is the a manifestation of a condensate of symmetry protected states that
construct a surface that is smooth.

LC