On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 5:21:25 PM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 3:48:25 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 12/6/2019 4:05 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

>>> This leads me to appreciate on some level why Feynman called this
>>> philosofuzzy.
>>>
>>> LC
>>>

>> Which is why Feyerabend (who I think was together with Feynman when he
>> came to some conferences in Berkeley) said
>>
>> The withdrawal of philosophy into a "professional" shell of its own has
>> had disastrous consequences. The younger generation of physicists, the
>> *Feynman*s <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman>, the
>> Schwingers <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Schwinger>, etc., may
>> be very bright; they may be more intelligent than their predecessors, than
>> Bohr <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels_Bohr>, Einstein
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>, Schrödinger
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Schr%C3%B6dinger>, Boltzmann
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Boltzmann>, Mach
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Mach> and so on. *But they are
>> uncivilized savages: they lack in philosophical depth.*
>>
>> So true.
>>

>> Depth is no virtue when you're just muddying the water.
>>

>> @philipthrift
>>

>> Each philosopher knows a lot but, as a whole, philosophers don't know
>> anything. If they did, they would be scientists.
>>       --- Ludwig Krippahl
>>
>> "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
>> seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one
>> will believe it."
>>    --- Bertrand Russell
>>
>> Philosophie ist der systematische Missbrauch einer eigens zu
>> diesem Zweck entwickelten Terminologie."
>>          ---Wolfgang Pauli
>>
>> "The philosophy of science is just about as useful to scientists
>> as ornithology is to birds."
>>       --- Steven Weinberg
>>
>> So is Feyerabend so sure his depth is more profound than theirs?
>>
>> Brent
>>

> What some scientist calls "philosofuzzy" (Frege, Wittgenstein, Quine)
> perhaps is to hide their own fuzzy philosophy. (I can't find a reference
> for Feynman ever using that term though).
>
> *Physicists Are Philosophers, Too*
> Victor J. Stenger
> https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/physicists-are-philosophers-too/
>
> What we are seeing here is not a recent phenomenon. In his 1992 book
> Dreams of a Final Theory, Nobel laureate *Steven Weinberg* has a whole
> chapter entitled “Against Philosophy.” Referring to the famous observation
> of Nobel laureate physicist Eugene Wigner about “the unreasonable
> effectiveness of mathematics,” Weinberg puzzles about “the unreasonable
> ineffectiveness of philosophy.”
>
> Weinberg does not dismiss all of philosophy, just the philosophy of
> science, noting that its arcane discussions interest few scientists. He
> points out the problems with the philosophy of positivism, although he
> [...]

It is not that, and few physicists think their equations are 1 to 1 with
nature all the way. The point is to calculate things according to scheme
that gives answers to questions. Spending lots of time concerned with the
nature of language or whether things somehow correspond to reality in its
fullness is not done. Feynman talked about Babylonian math vs Greek math,
and while it is certainly worthy in the subject of mathematics to strive
for hard proofs, in physics we are more interested in things that give
results and answer questions about the world we observe. It might also be
added that the foundations of mathematics is in a bit of a funk-fight-fest
these days, where there are now systems of proof theory and the rest. When
these sorts of philosophical issues get raised at some point I think
scientists throw up their hands and say, "I have other things to do."

LC