On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 9:00:08 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 2:53 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > *Name one thing that is explained by science.*
>

> Explain what you mean by explain. I'll tell you what I mean by the word,
> describing something complex in terms of something simpler so well that
> accurate predictions can be made.
>
> *> Here is the code for the Standard Model.* [lots of math follows]
>

> There is no doubt about it, that is one hell of a lot of complex stuff,
> but it's not nearly as complex as all the stuff the Standard Model can
> "explain" as I define the word in the above.
>
> > *What if it were 10000 times bigger?*
>

> It would still be cheap at twice the price.
>
> John K Clark

A theory T_b in a language L_b can be explained in terms of a theory  T_a
in a language L_a if T_b/L_b can be *translated into* or *compiled to* or
*interpreted
by* or *derived from* T_a/T_b.

For b = chemistry and a = physics there's a problem:

Moreover, Arriaga, Fortin and Lombardi argue that while the QTAIM [Quantum
Theory of Atoms In Molecules] manages to ‘provide a rigorous definition of
the chemical bond and of atoms in a molecule, it appeals to concepts that
are unacceptable in the quantum-chemical context’, thus failing to
sufficiently support the reduction of chemistry to quantum mechanics
(Arriaga et al. 2019: 125). Van Brakel makes a similar point, arguing that
the QTAIM works only after postulating facts from chemistry (van Brakel
2014: 32), thus rendering it insufficient for the support of chemistry’s
reduction to quantum mechanics.

https://www.iep.utm.edu/red-chem/#SH3a

@philipthrift