On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 7:15:40 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 9:32 PM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> *> IMO, there's nothing mysterious about Bruno's definition of mechanism.
>> It's what's generally believed by most physicists; namely, that everything
>> in the universe can be explained by the interaction of particles (and
>> waves), *
>

> Or to say the same thing more simply, every event has a cause, there is no
> logical reason that must be true but it's a good working assumption to
> start with. All physicists think its true except at the quantum level, and
> with 2 exceptions even religious people think it's true; the exceptions are
> the Soul's actions and God's actions which they think are events without a
> cause, which is the very definition of random.
>
> Yet in direct contradiction to that religious people are constantly
> talking about the logical reasons, the causes, for God's actions. For
> example they believe God made the hurricane hit the city BECAUSE he was
> angry. Why was God angry? God was angry because of gay marriage. Why would
> gay marriage make God angry? Because it's morally wrong. What makes
> something morally wrong?..... It's unclear how religious people think this
> chain of questions will terminate or even if they think it will terminate
> at all, to tell the truth I don't think most have even given it any thought.

In *Euthyphro* by Plato there is a dialogue between Socrates and Euthyphro
on whether the gods, or for our purposes I will use God, is truthful and
virtuous because He follows truth and virtue or whether God makes it so. If
God follows truth and virtue then God is subordinate to that and is then
not all omnipotent. If on the other hand God creates truth and virtue then
those are subject to the will and whim of a conscious being and thus not
absolute. The issue leads to a sort of pardox. This was reasoned in the 5th
century BCE, and to this day to tears a hole in any statement by religious
people that they have "the Truth."

I don't follow Bruno's ideas along these lines well. I can well enough
understand how Loeb's theorem leads to semantics and a second order system
that is beyond first order logic that is from a language-programming
perspective purely syntactic. How this impacts physics is somewhat less
clear. The best I can think of is with the Taoist issue with nothingness.
Does nothingness exist? If it does exist then it is not really nothing, and
if it does not exist then there must be something. The conclusion then is
that nothingness is self-contradictory. From a physics perspective we do
have something along those lines with a false vacuum that is unstable,
which by symmetry breaking or tunneling transitions into a physical vacuum
plus particles and radiation. The pure vacuum is unstable.

LC