On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 3:27 PM Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> Hyperbolic can be ruled out for the same reason flat can be ruled out.
> Both are infinite in spatial extent, and since the universe has a finite
> age and expanding at less than an infinite rate throughout its lifetime
> (although the rate can be changing in different epochs and possibly faster
> than light speed in some epochs such as inflation), it cannot be infinite
> in spatial extent. I've made this argument several times, which is clear
> and straightforward, but never got anyone to agree. I find that baffling. *

That's because the universe could have been infinitely large from the very
first instant of its existence even before inflation started, I'm not
saying that it did I'm just saying there is no evidence that rules out that
possibility. And if it did start out that way then now the universe's
spatial curvature could be absolutely flat or even hyperbolic. And before
the discovery of Dark Energy people said that if the universe was
spherically curved then it couldn't expand forever, but with a new force
entering the equation that is no longer true. We now know it takes more
than just knowledge of the geometry of space to know the universe's
ultimate fate.

 John K Clark