On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 9:11:46 AM UTC-6, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

> The only thing that is measured is a difference in energy, and the modes
> between two parallel plates are different from those outside. So the
> difference in energy results in this slight pressure.
>
> LC
>

>From Wiki, below. Apparently there's an interpretation of the Casimir
effect which doesn't depend on vacuum energy, which, as I recall, is
Bruce's position on this issue. If no vacuum energy, then the claim that
photons and other elementary particles arose from the vacuum in the very
early universe is on dubious grounds. AG

Relativistic van der Waals force[edit
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Casimir_effect&action=edit&section=5>
]

Alternatively, a 2005 paper by Robert Jaffe
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jaffe> of MIT states that "Casimir
effects can be formulated and Casimir forces can be computed without
reference to zero-point energies. They are relativistic, quantum forces
between charges and currents. The Casimir force (per unit area) between
parallel plates vanishes as alpha, the fine structure constant, goes to
zero, and the standard result, which appears to be independent of alpha,
corresponds to the alpha approaching infinity limit," and that "The Casimir
force is simply the (relativistic, retarded
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retarded_potential>) van der Waals force
between the metal plates."[17]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect#cite_note-17> Casimir and
Polder's original paper used this method to derive the Casimir-Polder
force. In 1978, Schwinger, DeRadd, and Milton published a similar
derivation for the Casimir Effect between two parallel plates.[18]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect#cite_note-18> In fact, the
description in terms of van der Waals forces is the only correct
description from the fundamental microscopic perspective,[19]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect#cite_note-19>[20]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect#cite_note-20> while other
descriptions of Casimir force are merely effective macroscopic descriptions.