> On 2 Jun 2020, at 03:07, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 3:58:01 PM UTC-6, Jason wrote:
> Let's say time and space are continuous. Now lets design a stop watch that
> works as follows:
>
> 1. Start button: shoots a photon with a wavelength of 300 nanometers down the
> length of a ruler.
> 2. Stop button: raises the ruler so that the photon hits it at a certain
> point that we can measure.
>
> Question: Even if space and time are continuous can this stop watch provide
> measurements of continuous/unlimited precision?
>
> Answer: Due to the uncertainty principle, the location the photon cannot be
> determined to a location finer than the photon's wavelength. Accordingly,
> even if space/time are continuous, such a stop watch has a discrete
> time-resolution of (300 nanometers / speed of light ) ~= 10^-15 seconds. So
> for all practical purposes, there's no difference between this stop-watch
> 1.000000000000000000001 and 1.000000000000000000002 seconds after pressing
> "Start". Given this, can we be so sure that reality is continuous?
>
> David Deutsch has speculated that the appearance of a continuum may be an
> artifact of living within an infinite ensemble of independently discrete
> realities. As we see a continuous variable evolve to reach some final state,
> it may be an increasing fraction of realities evolving to reach that state
> (with each one discretely changing). This would explain why a photon might
> seem to have an arbitrary polarization, or an electron some arbitrary
> fraction of spin, but when measured it only have one of two possible values.
>
> In summary, I agree with you that a continuous reality rules out exact
> duplicates. But I would add that quantum mechanics says two regions of space
> can be so similar to each other that no one, and no experiment, even in
> theory, could tell the difference between them.
>
> Jason
>
> I don't see what measurements of similarity has to do with this issue. Fact
> is that if space is continuous,

That is not a fact. The fact is that we don’t know, neither with Mechanism, nor
with physics which has not yet successfully explain how to marry the quantum
and GR.

With mechanism, the continuum comes from the necessary random oracle of the
first person posts of view.

> there cannot be any exact repetitions. And not only is position continuous,
> but so are other variables, which makes the case of uniqueness even stronger.
> And it doesn't matter whether the universe is finite or infinite in spatial
> extent. So from my perspective, every universe is unique (provided continuity
> of spatial extent exists). AG

Better to not assume a universe, or a god, as those things are what we need to
explain.

Bruno