On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 11:54:04 AM UTC-5 Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 8:06:17 AM UTC-5 Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 4:27:42 AM UTC-5 Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 28 Aug 2020, at 13:06, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I happen to find this strange. It has the appearance of being a graph
>>> method whereby with appropriate numerical fiddling something appearing
>>> similar to a double slit interference patter emerges. I am not sure this is
>>> really a proper way to do physics.
>>>

>>> If it helps to find something new in the physical reality, why not? The
>>> idea here are not completely uninteresting.
>>>

>> It might be interesting, but I am not sure how useful this is. The double
>> slit experiment can be analysed with less than a page of ordinary
>> mathematics.
>>
>> LC
>>

> As Hossenfelder points out, nothing has been accomplished in fundamental
> physics (just a bunch of papers having no connection to empirical data)
> since the formulation of the Standard Model 50 years ago.
>
> When the language is wrong, change the language.
>
> @philipthrift

Example:

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2020/05/event-horizons-singularities-and-other-exotic-spacetime-phenomena/

In ordinary general relativity, there are “no-hair” theorems that say that
the gravitational effects of a black hole depend only on a few parameters,
such as its overall mass and overall angular momentum. In our models, the
overall mass is essentially just determined by the number of causal edges
that end up crossing the event horizon. (Angular momentum is related to a
kind of vorticity in the causal graph.) So the no-hair theorem for mass
says that when there is an event horizon, none of the details of these
causal edges matter; only their total number. It’s not clear why this would
be true, but it seems conceivable that it could be an essentially purely
graph theoretic result.

@philipthrift