It has to be said that atoms in such magnetic field becomes something odd.
Back in the 90s when I was working on orbital dynamics for the intelligence
community I found myself working on a problem with the orbit of a highly
charged object. Why was I looking at this? Well, I will defer from
discussing that. A charged body in orbit around the Earth or any
gravitating body with a magnetic field orbits on these spirals that hover
over the magnetic poles. The charged mass bounces up and down on this
spiral. In a classical setting this is not hard to understand and one has
to solve the dynamical equation for *B* the magnetic field

*F* = q*v*×*B* - GMm*r*/r^3,

where numerical programming is convenient.

If you quantize this these spirals becomes elongated lobes of electron
shells. For extreme magnetic field these becomes stringy. The Lorentz force
is not due to a potential function, so while it exerts a force it does no
work. The Lorentz force is perpendicular to the displacement, which is an
elementary physics way of thinking of this. I this way the electrons are
not stripped off the atom. So any atom around a pulsar is in this bizarre
configuration.

LC