On 12/24/2020 1:43 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 08:33, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 8:04 AM Stathis Papaioannou
    <stath...@gmail.com <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 at 11:51, Bruce Kellett
        <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 5:39 AM Stathis Papaioannou
            <stath...@gmail.com <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                You suspected right, I am asking a more basic question
                about self-sampling and the validity of probabilities
                when a version of the observer sees all possible outcomes.

            There is a problem here -- or maybe it is just careless
            phrasing. You say there is a question about probabilities
            when a version of the observer sees all possible outcomes.
            The question is whether it is merely a version of the
            observer, a copy of the observer, or the actual observer
            who sees all possible outcomes? A "version" is somewhat
            ambiguous. Different 'versions' of an operating system,
            for example, differ in some way. Whereas the duplicates
            under consideration here are, by hypothesis, all identical
            copies of the original.

            As John Clark is fond of pointing out, the trouble with
            self-sampling from a set of identical duplicate persons is
            that the personal pronoun 'you' loses its unique
            reference. All copies have an equal claim to be identified
            as the original 'you', so there is a real sense in
            which 'you' see all outcomes, with probability one. If you
            attempt to single out a particular individual by some
            random sampling procedure, you immediately make a dualist
            assumption -- the selected individual is different from
            the rest (by virtue of a 'soul', or some such, conferred
            by the sampling process itself).

            Since there is a sense in which 'you' certainly see all
            possible outcomes, there is an immediate conflict with the
            Born rule, according to which different outcomes have
            different probabilities, and 'you' can't see more than one
            such outcome.

        There is no magical “you” persisting from moment to moment
        even in ordinary life.

    It's not magical -- that is what it means to be a person-- you
    have physical and psychological continuity from moment to moment.
    If you throw this away, it is hard to know what you are talking about.

I’m not throwing it away, but I am acknowledging that it is a psychological artefact, not a dualistic soul. Apply this psychological artefact where there is copying, and you get probabilities. The copies each say “I know logically that all the copies are identical, but I feel that I am the only real me, continuing from the original”.

Artefact implies that it is constructed.  And I agree that if I were creating an artificial mind to be like the human mind, one of the things it would include is a module that produces a simulation of itself as it might exist in various imagined circumstances.  This is essential to have foresight and rational planning.

Brent
"Math is a cybervirus that lives in human minds, evolves therein and reproduces itself via language."
    --- Stephen Paul King

        I now have memories of being someone yesterday, I feel that
        the essence of that person has  been transmitted to me now.
        But it’s a delusion, and if I were copied many times each of
        the copies would of course have the same delusion. They can’t
        help it, it’s the way human psychology works. So thinking
        about probabilities if I am copied amounts to this: how should
        I reason about those future copies who share the delusion that
        they are uniquely me, given that I have the delusion that I
        will become one and only one of those copies? You propose that
        I drop the delusion and then there is no reasoning to be done,
        no question of probability. But to be consistent, I should
        then drop the delusion in a single thread universe as well,
        and not be concerned about the outcomes fir the person
        tomorrow who thinks that he is me just because he has memories
        of being me.

    Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.