> On 27 Jan 2021, at 23:28, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 3:08 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> Also, worlds interfere statistically, by do not interact at all. A term in a
> superposition cannot interact with any other terms, but we can make them
> interfering, like with the two slits.
>

> Your grasp of the relevant physics is rather tenuous, I'm afraid Bruno.The
> idea of "worlds interfering statistically without interacting" is just a
> nonsense. There can only be interference if there is an interaction.

See Weinstein for good explanation on this, and a proof that if we allow
interaction between, the “Everett world”, we violate thermodynamic and GR.

> And there certainly is an interaction between the photons on the two possible
> paths in the two slit experiment. The two paths arrive at the screen with
> different amplitudes and phases -- if the signs are the same, they add. But
> if the signs are different they cancel -- partially or completely depending
> on the relative amplitudes.

That is not a physical interaction between the photon(s). The amplitude
concerne the wave, which describes the worlds/histories.

> The trouble is that David Deutsch has really screwed up the understanding of
> "worlds" for a lot of people.

I got the "Many-Words Interpretation” from Mechanism, and this for any physical
reality compatible with mechanism, well before I knew anything on quantum
mechanics.  Only later I got the formalism.
If you believe in 2+2=4 & Co, and in the Indexical Digital Mechanist
hypothesis, the “many-worlds”, or better “the many histories” are unavoidable
(where an history is a computation as seen from universal+ machine supported by
that computation).

Then, if the founders dod not realise the MW aspect of quantum mechanics, they
would not have invented a wave-collapse, which is trick to make them disappear.
Everett showed just that we don’t need that trick, which is nice as it lead to
many difficulties.

> He has talked as though each path in the two slit case is a separate "world",
> and then has to resort to magic to reproduce the interference. The Everett
> concept of a "world" is a "relative state", in which an "observer" sees a
> definite result. This idea was made more precise with the introduction of the
> idea of decoherence, and generalized entanglement with the environment. If
> "worlds" are defined as the result of decoherent histories, then Deutsch's
> confusion should not arise. A "world" is the result of (FAPP irreversible)
> decoherence.

OK. Thanks to the quote for “world”.

> There is no decoherence at the slits in the two slit experiment, so no
> separate "worlds" are formed.

But locally you do have a superposition of an history (going to this slit +
going through the other slits), like in a quantum computer you can superpose
different computations (and then make the result interning in a way such that a
minimum of realism entails that you can understand that all computations have
been performed.

> If you induce decoherence by measuring at the slits, then the interference
> pattern disappears -- you have certainly created a separate "world" for each
> path, but these can no longer interfere. That is part of the definition of
> the "worlds" that are created by irreversible decoherence.

No problem.

> So the concept of "world" is, indeed, well-defined in physics.

By giving a magic role to the observer, or its consciousness, or of
measurement. The observer can no more be a machine in that picture.

> It might not be defined in logic or metaphysics, but this is of no concern to
> the working physicist -- we know perfectly well what we mean by "a world”.

FAPP. OK.
The goal here is to try to understand what happens.

> And we can readily tell when someone is talking nonsense by claiming that
> "worlds interfere statistically without interacting”.

? (That is rather standard, and pretty obvious, I would say).

> The superposition of the paths in the two slit case extends right to the
> screen: that is what produces the interference -- superposition means that
> the two components are added together with their intrinsic phases intact. If
> you destroy the superposition at any point, such as by interacting with the
> paths at the slits,

Nothing in the SWE allows anyone to destroy a superposition. We can only
entangle the state with an unknown complex environment making the observation
irreversible, but no superposition is physically destroyed. Even Bohr admitted
this in his EPR answer to EPR.

> there is no more interference -- you have produced separate "worlds" that can
> no longer interact so there is no interference. As Scott Aaronson is fond of
> saying: quantum computers work by interference, so the computations must all
> occur in one "world”.

But then that “one world” becomes a multiverse realising the many-histories.

> As Scott recently posted: "BREAKING: President Biden signs executive order
> banning people from saying "Quantum computers solve problems by just trying
> all possible solutions in parallel”."

Lol

Bruno