On Tuesday, March 9, 2021, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 6:00 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 9:41 AM Lawrence Crowell <
>> goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nothingness is a paradoxical thing. Does nothingness exist? If so, then
>>> by having existential properties it is not pure nothingness. If nothingness
>>> does not exist then there must exist something. In a sense God is the
>>> antithesis of nothingness and in a sense shares the same paradoxical issue.
>>

>> There is a strange and paradoxical sort of identity between *nothing*
>> and *everything*, particularly as it relates to information theory.
>> Insofar as the total set of all possibilities has zero information content.
>>

> A random message string can contain zero information, but still exist --
> written on a piece of paper, for example. This idea that zero information
> equates to 'nothing' is just an elementary confusion of categories.

Random strings contain a maximum amount of entropy per bit and are
incomprehensible. They may not signify anything useful but they require
more bits to encode/represent than any less random string of the same
length, so in that sense are maximal in the information they convey.

I think you may be operating under a different definition of information
than the standard Shannon sense of information theory.

I grant that the equivalence between all strings and no strings is
unintuitive, but I think my section on the Library of Babel is
illustrative:
https://alwaysasking.com/why-does-anything-exist/#The_Library_of_Babel

Jason