> On 9 Mar 2021, at 16:58, 'scerir' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, d'Espagnat (with Jammer) was one of my very best, in the 70s.

I agree. Max Jammer book “Philosophy of Quantum Mechanics” is very good too.
His book “Einstein and Religion” is quite excellent too, in a related subject...

> But - since then - I'm in trouble. Maybe 'Quantum' is a language, nothing
> more  than a language. Efficient?

If it is a language, the question is what does that language refers too, and
what or who does the conversation (in that language).

The notion of language is too much general. You have the language, the theory,
and the models of the theories.
The logical notion of Model (and thus in the logicien sense) models (in the
physicist sense) the notion of reality.
A model of a theory T is a structure which satisfies the axioms and theorems of
that theory. A group (in algebra) is a model of a theory of group, for example.

Having said this, the quantum can be seen as a language. A sublanguage of the
quantum is the language of biochemistry, and in that case, you and me are words
in that language, making us into sort of divine hypotheses!
Similarly, you can see all numbers as words, and the whole (sigma_1) arithmetic
as a sort of conversation, but eventually, we can test if we are words/numbers
by looking at the (startling consequences) like the interference of the many
histories, and do experimental metaphysics (like Shimony said).

Bruno