On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 4:57 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>> An intelligent quantum computer is perfectly capable of creating a
>> document specifying that at a certain time it had information in its memory
>> banks that indicated which slot a photon went through but not actually
>> mentioning which slot it was,
>

> *> That's the step that I doubt can be implemented within QM.  Of course
> it can record quasi-classically (so it can be read out) every time it
> detects a which-way and it can maintain a count of them.  But it isn't
> conscious of the which-way values, only that they were counted.*

It's easy to determine that the quantum computer is intelligent but as for
consciousness, how did you determine that it was not conscious? For that
matter how did you determine that I am conscious? But let's get out of the
consciousness quagmire for a moment so I can ask you a question, leaving
behind the interpretation of the experiment concentrating only on its
results, if it was actually performed as described do you think
interference bands would be on that photographic plate or would there be no
such bands? I would bet money the bands would be there on that plate even
though there's no longer any which way information remaining. So, what
would you put your money on, bands or no bands?

> *So the interference pattern showing up at the end doesn't do anything to
> invalidate Copenhagen or similar interpretations.*

If interference bands are on that photographic plate then either Many
Worlds is correct or a rock is just as likely to be conscious as one of
your fellow human beings because intelligent behavior would tell you
nothing about consciousness. But if there are no bands I would immediately
concede and say Many Worlds must be wrong. What outcome would make you
concede?

> The entire point of this experiment is to determine if conscious stuff
>> operates according to the same laws of physics as non-conscious stuff, I'm
>> betting that they do.
>

>* So am I.  Conscious stuff works by **decohering quantum superpositions*

Quantum mechanics is mysterious and consciousness is mysterious, but other
than that I don't think the two have anything to do with each other. But
even if I'm wrong and they do it wouldn't make any difference in this case
because an intelligent quantum computer is certainly capable of decohering
quantum superpositions.

gbty