On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 8:27 AM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/5/2022 3:18 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 2:49 AM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/4/2022 11:45 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>>
>> This piles arbitrary speculation on arbitrary speculation. The
>> introduction of continuous infinities of observers is a dodgy move, since
>> no measure over these infinities has been defined. We then are instructed
>> to take the relative numbers of these infinities on the different branches
>> to be in the ratio of the Born probabilities. None of this is even remotely
>> justified. And I doubt that it could be made to make any sense at all.
>> Ratios of infinities are treacherous things......
>>
>> This move to infinities of identical observers on related branches is not
>> uncommon, but it is surely nonsensical; it certainly is not implied by the
>> quantum formalism..
>>

>> MWI obviously needs to postulate very large numbers of branches in order
>> to approximate irrational values of probabilities by branch counting.  That
>> doesn't seem too crazy to me.  Per Everett there must be an enormous number
>> of events at a level which would be detectable by instrumentation and would
>> produce decohered "worlds" but which are below the level of notice and
>> human records.
>>

> You have solved the measure problem, have you? You can make sense of
> splitting a continuous infinity into other continuous infinities in
> definite proportions?
>

> No, I explicitly said very large number, NOT infinite.

In other words, countable. I doubt that this will do the work proponents
require of continuous infinites of  worlds (branches/copies). Your "very
large number" will eventually run out or, at least, be depleted to a
sufficient extent that you can no longer accommodate all ratios.The
splitting of worlds is ubiquitous and goes on all the time. How many
splittings have there been since the big bang? In either case, the move
smacks of desperation!

Bruce