On 8/25/2022 1:00 PM, smitra wrote:
If intelligent life that's way more intelligent than insects gets replaced by AI systems with insect level intelligence together with all other life except microbes on a planet, then they are back where biology was in the Cambrian era.

The fundamental issue is that intelligence creatures will create tools that will make the work they need to do easier. The tools become ever more sophisticated, so that a lot more work can be done. At some point we get machines and then we get machines with some level of intelligence and then we get to a  point where the machines do all the work themselves including the work needed to repair and build themselves.

And then Darwinian evolution machines can take off.  Presumably we will suppress this, just as evolved bacteria have suppressed in new origination of life on Earth.  But it's not a sure thing.

Brent

But this is going to to be reached when the typical intelligence of the machines is way less than that of the intelligent creatures that gave rise to the machines.

Saibal