It's a unitary map, it will evolve the past state into a superposition of many different states. One may argue that this is meaningless, as one has to choose a basis. But this is essentially what time evolution operator does for you. If you work in a particular basis then applying the time evolution operator amounts to changing that basis into another basis without affecting the state of the system in any way.

Saibal