On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 2:44 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well yes, increasing the output energy more than the input energy would
> violate the laws of physics, but increasing the power would not.  This
> could do more than just make new weapons, it could increase the possibility
> of controlled nuclear fusion by means of inertial confinement; and to get
> it going and ignite a deuterium tritium pellet you have to put a huge
> amount of energy into a short burst, and the shorter the better.

And if you've got a laser with 90% efficiency and you don't have to worry
about damaging the optical components (and if they're made of plasma you
don't) then the number of super short laser pulses you produce each second
is limited only by the electrical power supply feeding the laser. There's
no reason you couldn't hook it up to Hoover Dam, and 90% of the electrical
energy it produced would go into the light energy of the output beam of the
laser.
<https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>uqq
9vq