On 10/3/2022 5:32 PM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 6:41:58 PM UTC-5 meeke...@gmail.com wrote:

    On 10/3/2022 4:11 PM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
    On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 5:02:56 AM UTC-5 johnk...@gmail.com
    wrote:

        On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 12:07 AM Brent Meeker
        <meeke...@gmail.com> wrote:

            /> Yes that's one way it could go bad. But there's also
            the case that they literally don't work. /

        Unfortunately I think there is little chance that Russian
        H-bombs won't explode because it's not that difficult to
        maintain them; Plutonium 239 has a halflife of 24,000 years,
        U235 has a half life of over 700 million years, and lithium-6
        deuteride is stable. It's true that modern H-bombs also have
        a very small amount  of the hydrogen isotope tritium and it's
        half life is only 12 years but it will explode without
        tritium just with a somewhat reduced yield, and the chemical
        explosive used to initiate the implosion could become
        unstable after a few decades and would need to be replaced
        with fresh explosives, but I have a hunch if there is
        anything in Russia that is well-maintained it is their
        nuclear bombs. And since Ukraine is right on the Russian
        border a delivery system for such bombs is not really an issue.
        John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis

    Plutonium pits have to be cycled every few years, where after 10
    years their effectiveness is very reduced. It is not because the
    nuclei of plutonium has decayed, but the crystalline structure of
    the plutonium is not longer the optimal allotrope. The implosive
    collapse of the pit is not as effective at starting a fission
    chain reaction. There is a duty cycle on the plutonium that has
    to be remelted and metallurgically reconfigured.

    And could a general skim off the money intended for this recycling
    and become very rich?

    Brent

That is how the Afghanistan fell. Officers and administrators were stealing the equipment, for sale often to the Taliban, and pocketing the pay. In fact with the fall of the Roman Empire, there were legions more than capable of repelling the Visigoths that crossed the Rhine and ultimately sacked Rome in 410 AD. The problem is the legionnaires had not been paid and they refused orders.

My point exactly.  But think how it might make Putin more dangerous if he wasn't sure he could rely on his nuclear deterrent.