On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 9:51 AM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

*> I surmise that with the 32 second degree of change, this method is real
> life does likely prevent, given enough time/warning will prevent another
> Tunguska, another Cretaceous-Paleogene Extinction Event, which seems to be
> the big success of our age. *

Of course that asteroid was only 500  feet in diameter while the Tunguska
object was larger than Mount Everest, but even so it might be enough if the
deflection occurred a decade or two before the impact. So early detection
is the key to success, and that makes comets much more dangerous than
asteroids. Asteroids will only come at you from the plane of the elliptic,
but a comet could strike from any direction, and a comet will be moving
much faster than an asteroid. And if the comet is coming from the direction
of the sun it would be even more difficult to spot early. A wide field
telescope placed in orbit well outside the elliptic would go a long way
toward solving that problem

edk