When they talk about safety, they mean corporate safety, which is to say that
they want to be reasonably sure that GPT4 would not say something that would
create a PR nightmare and hurt stock prices. They most definitely were not
worried about safety in the sci-fi sense. Large language models are not capable
of autonomous action or maintaining long-term goals. They just predict the most
likely text given a sample.

Telmo