On 6/28/2023 11:15 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 4:12 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I think sentient includes consciousness, but is broader including
    perception and feelings.  Does it include self-reflection? empathy?

Great article, thanks for sharing. I also enjoyed the one which this article was about: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-insects-feel-joy-and-pain/

As for definitions, some use sentience to mean the capacity to feel, while others lump in self-awareness with sentience. I think the former is more standard and in line with the original meaning.

As for which word is more inclusive, I think consciousness can in some respects be considered the most general and inclusive word, its meaning being simply "having knowledge". Since the knowledge can concern anything (including things besides knowledge of one's feelings or perceptions), then the word "consciousness" is the broadest. Sentience would be a subset of consciousness, and self-awareness, self-reflection, emotions, and empathy would be  subclasses of possible conscious states.

Jason

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I attach "consciousness" to the narrow thoughts as in "Are you conscious of that?"  "Did you consciously choose that?"  That top level "stream" of perceptions, narrative, imagination,...

And this inner narrative apparently leaves out so much, which is then attributed to the subconscious, which does a lot of the work of thinking.  And not only muscle memory of driving your car on a familiar commute, but also real creativity like the effect named for Poincare when he described how the solution to a mathematical proof came to him suddenly as he was stepping onto a bus.  A problem he had not thought about /*consciously*/ for weeks.

At the other extreme is "unconscious" as anesthetized, where apparently all levels of thought are gone...or is it just not-remembered?