On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 05:40:11PM +0000, 'spudboy...@aol.com' via Everything
List wrote:
>  Even the scientists who build AI can’t tell you how it works (msn.com)
>
> Interview with NYU professor:
>

> ''Sam Bowman
>
> So there’s two connected big concerning unknowns. The first is that
> we don’t really know what they’re doing in any deep sense. If we
> open up ChatGPT or a system like it and look inside, you just see
> millions of numbers flipping around a few hundred times a second,
> and we just have no idea what any of it means. With only the tiniest
> of exceptions, we can’t look inside these things and say, “Oh,
> here’s what concepts it’s using, here’s what kind of rules of
> reasoning it’s using. Here’s what it does and doesn’t know in any
> deep way.” We just don’t understand what’s going on here. We built
> it, we trained it, but we don’t know what it’s doing.'

Yeah. But I think this was obvious from the very beginning, at least
if someone was paying attention. A lot of people, this unfortunately
includes many decision makers (I hope I am not too optimistic), do not
want to busy themselves with details.

What is going on with Chad Gepettos and their ilk, is a bit like
building a car by throwing parts inside a box. In a computer, one can
do this really fast. Oh, something have built up. Let's make a
schoolbus. This is being done by software firms who already mastered
the art of licence writing - they cannot be liable for software errors
(unless something changed during last few years) and you agreed to
this. Yes you did. Now go read the licence.

Sooo, if somebody's life is screwed up...

Mr Jeffery Battle (veteran, businessman and professor) now sues
Microsoft because its Bing conflated him with a person of similar
name, who apparently is a convicted wannabe taliban.

[

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/07/13/new-lawsuit-against-bing-based-on-allegedly-ai-hallucinated-libelous-statements/

]

We will see how it unfolds.

> Noam Hassenfeld
> Very big unknown.''If accurate, are we now looking at Pantheism? Should we?

Such questions are loaded with a suggestion, intentional or not.

Only a cretin makes atomic mushroom and then prays to it. Oh, wait a
minute, who is the dominant species here...

I suspect "we" were a lot smarter in a past. The engineers who built
steam engines did not pray to them. The coal diggers did not pray to
their shovels. Tailors did not pray to their sewing machines. Nobody
(mentally capable) treated the devices as magical or impossible to
understand. (or so I think)

Machines are like any other machines. If they are doing what they are
supposed to do and I can repair them when they break, then I have no
problem. The problem starts when they do not break and do not do what
they are expected to.

Anyway, I like this quote, it is absolutely thrilling:

  "And it also plays into some of the concerns about these
  systems. That sometimes the skill that emerges in one of these
  models will be something you really don’t want. The paper describing
  GPT-4 talks about how when they first trained it, it could do a
  decent job of walking a layperson through building a biological
  weapons lab. And they definitely did not want to deploy that as a
  product. They built it by accident. And then they had to spend
  months and months figuring out how to clean it up, how to nudge the
  neural network around so that it would not actually do that when
  they deployed it in the real world."

The humans knew what they did not want to release and were able, with
huge effort, to rub this out. What was this thing, those things, which
they did not know they had not wanted, which they could not know at
that moment because nobody knew it yet?

Ask Ding, or Brad, eh. Chad Gepetto has those things buried inside it,
waiting for a right question to autocomplete.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **