Thank you John for your thoughts. I few notes below:

On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 7:17 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 1:47 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *> At a high level, states of consciousness are states of knowledge,*
>>

> That is certainly true, but what about the reverse, does a high state of
> knowledge imply consciousness?  I'll never be able to prove it but I
> believe it does but of course for this idea to be practical there must be
> some way of demonstrating that the thing in question does indeed have a
> high state of knowledge, and the test for that is the Turing Test, and
> the fact that my fellow human beings have passed the Turing test is the
> only reason I believe that I am NOT the only conscious being in the
> universe.

Yes, I believe there's an identity between states of knowledge and states
of consciousness. That is almost implicit in the definition of
consciousness:
con- means "with"
-scious- means "knowledge"
-ness means "the state of being"
con-scious-ness -> the state of being with knowledge.

Then, the question becomes: what is a state of knowledge? How do we
implement or instantiate a knowledge state, physically or otherwise?

My intuition is that it requires a process of differentiation, such that
some truth becomes entangled with the system's existence.

> *> A conditional is a means by which a system can enter/reach a state of
>> knowledge (i.e. a state of consciousness) if and only if some fact is true.*
>>

> Then "conditional" is not a useful philosophical term because you could be
> conscious of and know a lot about Greek mythology. but none of it is true
> except for the fact that Greek mythology is about Greek mythology.

Yes. Here, the truth doesn't have to be some objective truth, it can be
truth of what causes ones mind to reach a particular state. E.g., here it
would be the truth of what particular sensory data came into the scholar's
eyes as he read a book of Greek mythology.

> >  *Consciousness is revealed as an immaterial, ephemeral relation, not
>> any particular physical thing we can point at or hold.*
>>

> I mostly agree with that but that doesn't imply there's anything mystical
> going on, information is also immaterial and you can't point to *ANY
> PARTICULAR* physical thing

I agree.

 (although you can always point to *SOME *physical thing) and I believe
> it's a brute fact that consciousness is the way information feels when it
> is being processed intelligently.

I like this analogy, but I think it is incomplete. Can information (by
itself) feel? Can information (by itself) have meaning?

I see value in making a distinction between information and "the system to
be informed." I think the pair are necessary for there to be meaning, or
consciousness.

However there is nothing ephemeral about information, as far as we can tell
> the laws of physics are unitary, that is information can't be destroyed
> and the probability of all possible outcomes must add up to 100%. For a
> while Stephen Hawking thought that Black Holes destroyed information but he
> later changed his mind, Kip Thorne still thinks it may do so but he is in
> the minority.

I agree information can't be destroyed. But note that what I called
ephemeral was the conditional relation, which (at least usually) seems to
occur and last during a short time.

> *> All we need to do is link some action to a state of knowledge.*
>>

> At the most fundamental level that pretty much defines what a computer
> programmer does to make a living.

Yes.

> * > It shows the close relationship between consciousness and information,
>> where information is defined as "a difference that makes a difference",*
>>

> And the smallest difference that still makes a difference is the
> difference between one and zero, or on and off.

The bit is the simplest unit of information, but interestingly, there can
also be fractional bits. For example, if there's a 75% chance of some
event, like two coin tossings not both being heads, and I tell you that two
coin tossings were not both heads, then I have only
communicated -log2(0.75) ~= 0.415 bits of information to you.

> > *It shows a close relationship between consciousness and
>> computationalism,*
>>

> I strongly agree with that,  it makes no difference if the thing doing
> that computation is carbon-based and wet and squishy, or silicon-based and
> dry and hard.

Absolutely  👍

>  >  It is also supportive of functionalism and it's multiple
>> realizability, as there are many possibile physical arrangements that lead
>> to conditionals.
>

> YES!
>
> *> It's clear there neural networks firings is all about conditionals and
>> combining them in whether or not a neuron will fire and which other neurons
>> have fired binds up many conditional relations into one larger one. It
>> seems no intelligent (reactive, deliberative, contemplative, reflective,
>> etc.) process can be made that does not contain at least some conditionals.
>> As without them, there can be no responsiveness. This explains the
>> biological necessity to evolve conditionals and apply them in the guidance
>> of behavior. In other words, consciousness (states of knowledge) would be
>> strictly necessary for intelligence to evolve.*
>>

> I agree with all of that.

Happy to hear that. Thanks for all your feedback.

Jason